(1) Support AB 392 to limit when California police can use deadly force. Click here to learn more about AB 392 and to take actions.
(2) Surveillance technology ordinance: Follow the development in the San Jose Smart Cities and Service Improvements Committee, attend committee meetings and provide public inputs as necessary.
Join us for our in-person Training for Changemakers on Saturday, February 9, 2019 in San Jose. The training is an opportunity to build skills, network with like-minded people, and learn how you can take local action on critical civil liberties issues. Register at https://www.aclunc.org/get-involved/events/2019-trainings-change-makers .
Save the date for the ACLU of California Conference and Lobby Day in Sacramento on April 7 and 8, 2019 (Sunday and Monday). For details, please visit https://www.aclunc.org/conference .
Apply to be an Assembly Ambassador! Do you love talking about legislation, getting to know your legislators and their staff members, and participating in networking opportunities? Learn more and apply at https://action.aclu.org/volunteer/nca-assembly-ambassadors-application-2019
Apply for the Speakers Bureau! Do you love speaking and want to represent the ACLU in public speaking engagements? Learn more and apply at https://action.aclu.org/nca-speakers-bureau-application-2019
Apply to be a Know Your Rights trainer! If you’re extra-confident with your public speaking or have a background in teaching, this could be the right opportunity for you. Learn more and apply at https://action.aclu.org/volunteer/nca-kyr-trainer-application-2019
If you are interested in an internship, fellowship or volunteer work with the ACLU of Northern California, please visit the following Web pages for details.
If you want to participate in advocacy work in general, please do the following.
- Sign up for action alerts from national ACLU: https://www.aclu.org/action
- Sign up for updates and action alerts from ACLU-NC on the upper right corner of the Web page https://www.aclunc.org
- Subscribe to the SCV chapter’s mailing list: http://acluscv.org/mailing-list
- Visit ACLU-NC’s “Take Action” page: https://www.aclunc.org/get-involved/take-action
- Visit SCV chapter’s “Take Action” page: http://acluscv.org/take-action
If you want to monitor the agenda items of local government meetings for issues related to civil liberties, please contact the SCV chapter board at http://acluscv.org/contact for suggestions.
ACLU Peoplepower: https://map.peoplepower.org/ (Please enter your zip code in the Web page to limit your search. The Web page is for the entire U.S.) This is a platform maintained by the national ACLU where ACLU supporters can post events to attend or civic engagement activities to participate in, e.g. postcard writing, voter registration drive, townhall meeting, etc.